BOISE, Idaho — An overnight standoff that prompted evacuations at a Boise apartment complex ended early Wednesday morning.

The situation unfolded at the Fairview Crossing apartments, off of Fairview Avenue and Milwaukee Street.

Sean S. Hurst, 34, is facing a felony charge of aggravated assault in connection to the incident. 

Boise Police spokesperson Haley Williams said the standoff began at about 7 p.m. Tuesday when police attempted to serve Hurst with a restraining order.

Police say the suspect had earlier threatened someone with a knife. 

A portion of the complex was evacuated as officers worked to negotiate with Hurst.

"They are taking things slowly to resolve the situation peacefully," Williams told KTVB via text message.

RELATED: Suspect in Valley County standoff dead, hostage safe

Michael Roberts, who lives across the hall from the man, said he heard the suspect arguing with police officers about an incident that had happened with his wife. 

"He was saying all the accusations were wrong, that everyone was lying about it," Roberts said. 

Sean Hurst
Sean Hurst
Ada Co. Jail

As the standoff stretched on, Roberts said, he could see Hurst drinking alcohol and taking pills as police tried to negotiate with him.

"At one point in time, he took a body mirror out of his apartment and started flashing it at the cars, because he had spotlights on him and he just didn't like it," he said.

RELATED: Police chief: 6 people killed in New Jersey shooting, including officer

At one point, a SWAT team arrived, and officers came to Roberts' door. He said the officers told him he needed to evacuate because Hurst was "threatening to shoot officers and blow the complex up." 

Roberts, who was not allowed back into his apartment for hours, said he had seen his neighbor acting erratically in the past, including sitting for hours in his car with the engine running. He said he was not surprised that police were now involved with the residents of that unit.

"There's crashing, all sort of fights, yelling, all sorts of stuff going on all the time," Roberts said. "He just seems really out of it." 

fairview crossing

RELATED: Sheriff: Middleton man rammed patrol car, carjacked 84-year-old during wild chase

Officers were able to take the Hurst into custody at about 1:30 a.m., with help from a police dog. He suffered minor injuries from the dog, and was taken to a local hospital for treatment of a "prior medical issue," according to police.

The evacuated residents were allowed back into their apartments at about 1:45 a.m. Hurst was booked into the Ada County Jail Wednesday morning, and is due to appear in court Thursday.

William Owsley, who lives in the apartment, said the commotion kept him up most of the night.

"I haven't slept at all, it's been a very restless night," he said.  

In a news release, Boise Police thanked residents "for their patience and cooperation" during the standoff.